OPK Tests Take The Guess Work Out Of TTC
When it comes to getting pregnant, timing is everything. Most women don’t even realize that their window of conception is actually really tiny until they begin trying to conceive (TTC). If you’ve researched Fertility Awareness, then you might have learned some of the different ways to pinpoint your fertile window. And today, I want to focus on Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs).
When trying to conceive, I’ve personally tried just about everything to improve our chances…including taking my fair share of OPKs. Through my experience, the OPK test was definitely my favorite method just because they’re so simple. If you have been trying to conceive for a few months, it might be a good idea for you to invest in a fertility monitor. You could simply be missing your fertile window and not even know it! OPKs are a great way to begin tracking your fertility and become more in tune with your body.
Ohana Mom’s Picks: Best Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs)
- Clearblue is the #1 OBGYN (and Ohana Mom) suggested brand
- The results of this test are digital, taking the guess work out of interpreting lines
- This advanced tests and tracks 2 fertility hormones. This means you will receive both “high” and “peak” fertile days, giving you even more information to time intercourse
- These sticks come with 2 ways to test. There’s the classic lines for those who prefer to watch the color get darker, as well as a simple “yes” or “no” digital option
- Results generate quickly, in 3 minutes or less!
- First Response is voted Amazon’s Choice for Ovulation Predictor Kits
- Definitely the #1 Best Seller on Amazon
- This kit is massive! It includes a whopping 50 ovulation strips and even 20 pregnancy tests, so you won’t have to run out and buy anything else when your 2 week wait is over
- Easy@Home can boast (and rightfully so) on their early detection and great sensitivity levels of 25 mIU/mL
So What Are Fertility Monitors Then?
Fertility monitors work along the same lines of the ovulation predictor kits, with some added features. They typically store information from your previous cycles, tell you when’s the best time to test, and more. And for the techy moms out there, some of these fertility monitors even come with phone apps! Welcome to the 21st century!
If you’re looking to make the investment into one of these monitors, consider my all time favorite below. And yes, you guessed it…Clearblue wins again!
Ohana Mom’s Picks: Best Fertility Monitor
- Clearblue has conducted studies proving their monitor to be able to increase pregnancy chances up to 82% during the first cycle of its use
- The monitor has a storage capability of 6 cycles. This allows you to review your statistics and easily share the information with your doctor
- Gives you your fertility level every day, and even tells you when is best to test so your not using strips unnecessarily
- The Clearblue Fertility Monitor is complete with an easy-to use-touch screen display
- Most frequently purchased monitor of its kind
- This kit uses Clearblue Test Sticks which can be found here
Making The Most Out Of Your Ovulation Predictor Kit:
- Test at the same time each day. This will help limit the chance of an incorrect result.
- Limit your fluid consumption for about 2 hours before testing as to not dilute your urine
- Avoid testing in the morning. Unlike pregnancy tests where it’s best to use first morning urine, it is best to test with your OPK in the afternoon.
- Some women are curious as to why they still have a positive OPK after ovulation. Keep in mind that once your LH surge is detected, the tests will remain positive for the reminder of that peak. To avoid confusion, you should rely on that first positive test. I personally would stop testing after I received a “peak” result.
- Most kits come with instructions as to when is best to test depending on your unique cycle. You may also find an Ovulation Calendar helpful.
- For women on Clomid, false positive OPK may occur if you happen to test to early in your cycle. Be sure to consult with your doctor about timing your OPKs accordingly.
Why Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs) Rock:
- Like I said, they’re simple…all you have to do is pee on a stick! (or if you prefer the saliva option)
- They are a HUGE help to women with irregular cycles who can’t rely on the fertility calendar method
- You don’t have to assess your cervical mucus. Even as nurse, foolin’ around with CM was not my thing!
- No guess work. The results are east to interpret
- OPK tests don’t require a daily commitment. Most women can just use a few around the middle of their cycle
- You can buy them just about anywhere. Supermarkets, drug stores, and online just to name a few
Let’s Get Technical…How Do Ovulation Predictor Kits Work?
OPK tests work by detecting a rise or surge of luteinizing hormone (LH) in your urine. This surge will typically happen 12-48 hours before you ovulate. You must be able to time your intercourse before you ovulate for conception to occur. Detecting this rise in LH will in turn help you to recognize your fertile window…meaning it’s a good time for you and your significant other to do the baby dance!
In most cases, simply using OPKs accurately forecast a woman’s ovulation. That being said, in some circumstances combining these tests with other methods will increase your chances of success that much further.
I hope this information into the wonderful world of ovulation tests was helpful to you! Keep calm and enjoy the baby making!