Eat Your Vitamins, Mom!
You probably already know that prenatal vitamins are essential for helping to ensure a healthy pregnancy. But did you know prenatals could also aid in trying to conceive? More and more evidence has shown the vital importance of nutrition during pregnancy. And with so many different brands on the market, I’ve added my own list of the Best Prenatal Vitamins below to hopefully make the decision a little easier on you.
Ohana Mom’s Picks: Best Prenatal Vitamins
- Food-based prenatal vitamin packed with healthy superfoods and probiotics
- Contains a unique prenatal blend designed to help alleviate nausea and digestion issues during pregnancy
- Rainbow Light is vegetarian, gluten free, with no preservatives or additives
- When you purchase their products, Rainbow Light donates to the Vitamin Angels Maternal Health Project, a charity that delivers nutrition and vitamins to impoverished communities worldwide
- If you prefer gummy prenatal vitamins, Vitafusion has been voted the #1 adult gummy brand
- The gummies are an assortment of natural fruit flavors
- This particular brand also serves as a fantastic source of Omega-3 DHA
- Remember that important Folic Acid I mentioned? Well this prenatal contains the equivalent of three cups of spinach!
- Easy to swallow liquid softgel pills that are a convenient one per day dosage
- Also listed as Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in Prenatal Vitamins
- Nature Made is a high quality brand that is Doctor recommended, but also sells their products at affordable prices
- Help support your baby’s development of his brain and eyes with the additional DHA
- The SmartyPants Prenatal can definitely say it’s “complete”: contains your standard pregnancy multivitamins plus Omega-3s (DHA/EPA), Methylfolate (active folate), Biotin and other healthy benefits!
- Like Rainbow Light, SmartyPants is also partnered with the amazing Vitamin Angels Maternal Health Project, meaning your purchase will also provide nutrient grants to those in need
- These gummies are non-GMO, free of gluten and do not contain anything artificial. You can feel confident in your purchase knowing these vitamins are tested at every stage of manufacturing
- Other moms rave on the great taste. The gummies are sweetened with organic cane sugar…which also prevents them from sticking to your teeth!
- This is an organic prenatal vitamin made with whole foods which can be taken on an empty stomach
- Thousands of reviews by happy moms: a common one being increased energy and feeling of well being (which can be hard to come by in the first trimester)
- New Chapter is Non-GMO verified…which means their quality is reviewed and traced all the way back to the seeds!
- Contains all 100% of your recommended daily iron in a non constipating form
- Certified Kosher Prenatal Vitamins for those with diet restrictions
- The pills are tiny making them an ideal purchase for women with swallowing difficulties
- Reviews from other moms note a decrease in moodiness and irritability when they made the switch to Zahler vitamins
- Both manufactured and bottled right here in the USA
- Vegan multivitamin formulated with organic whole foods
- Designed for three stages of motherhood: for women trying to conceive, are pregnant and those breastfeeding
- Contains Folic Acid in its natural form, which makes it easier to absorb and digest
- These vitamins have a sweet fruit and veggie smell helping to decrease nausea
Tips and Tricks for Taking Your Prenatals:
- If nausea is an issue for you, try taking your vitamin before bed instead. Morning sickness tends to strike early in the day. You may notice your prenatals are easier for you to stomach right before going to sleep.
- Has anemia during pregnancy been a problem with you? Foods with a high content of Vitamin C, like orange juice for example, can help your body better absorb the Iron.
- Some women experience constipation from these vitamins (and from being pregnant in general). You can help keep your body regular by drinking plenty of fluid, exercise and eating high fiber foods.
- It’s important to do your research before deciding on the brand. You want the best for your baby, so why not pick the best prenatal vitamins? All prenatals are NOT created equal!
- Definitely be sure to consult with your medical provider before taking any additional supplements.
How Taking Prenatal Vitamins While TTC Benefited My Pregnancy:
I was taking prenatal vitamins for two years before we conceived our son. Although our pregnancy timeline is definitely not the norm, being on these vitamins in advance was a huge benefit for me in my pregnancy for a multitude of reasons.
- I was in the <10% of women who had no morning sickness. Zero, zilch, nada. In fact, I felt so “normal” I was convinced there had to be something wrong. I told my OBGYN at my first appointment, “I feel too good to be pregnant!”. It turns out women who take prenatals before conceiving lessen their chance of experiencing that dreaded nausea we so commonly associate with early pregnancy.
- My son measures beautifully! He’s my absolute dream: a thick little dude with strong bones and healthy organs. I SWEAR this kid’s going to be a soccer player or something with kicks he’s packing! In a way, being on these vitamins in advance helped me build up an insurance policy of vital nutrients he needed to develop and grow. The extra folic acid, for example, is crucial in those beginning stages of pregnancy to lessen the chance of birth defects.
- I was able to ensure I was getting the proper nutrients. The typical American diet makes it pretty hard to get the vitamins and minerals mom and baby needs from food alone. And in my case as a pescatarian, prenatals help to bridge that gap. Like most Floridians, seafood is my jam. And having to limit my typical consumption of fish definitely through my diet for a loop. Prenatal vitamins are especially important for women like me with certain dietary restrictions and health conditions. Gotta make sure both you and your baby get those Omega-3 Fatty Acids!
- Prenatals helped balance out my hormonal imbalances to promote ovulation. It has been proven that these vitamins to promote reproductive health and fertility.
It is now more important than ever to keep your nutritional status up to snuff! Taking care of yourself before, during and after pregnancy not only benefits your health, but is vital to your growing baby. I hope this list of my highest rated prenatal vitamins helped you find the brand that best suits you and your little one.