Breast Pumps: Terrifying? Maybe. Useful? Definitely.
If you’re a mom who is both willing and able to breastfeed, I’m proud of you! Breastfeeding isn’t easy and definitely takes dedication. For most women, maternity leave is short and ends way before the recommended amount of time a baby should receive breast milk. Did you know the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) endorses breastfeeding for at least the first 12 months? Even for stay at home moms, being the sole provider of their child’s nutrition for a whole year is downright exhausting! Investing in one of these best breast pumps will be a vital factor for moms desiring to breastfeed their babies for as long as possible.
Below is my Top Rated List of the Best Breast Pumps currently on the market. Oh, and don’t forget to add a breast pump to your Baby Registry!
Ohana Mom’s Picks: Best Breast Pumps
- Madela is the #1 Best Breast Pump selling brand on Amazon
- All material that comes in contact with breast milk is BPA free
- The removable cooler bag can be purchased in either tote or backpack style
- Electric breast pump which can be used for single or double pumping
- Built in bottle holders…meaning no mess or spills!
- Moms rave on how gentle and stress-free this breast pump is
- Ten different levels of electric suction, allowing you to find the perfect setting
- You can easily switch between expression and stimulation modes
- This listing comes with extra goodies: customized cleaning supplies, bottles, and more
- One of the quietest electric breast pumps on the market
- All Spectra pumps are built with a closed system, meaning they are as hygienic and effective as possible
- Suction strength and unique cycling modes can be adjusted as needed
- Single or double pumping options, allowing mom to pump as efficiently as possible
- Made exclusively from materials you can feel safe about: eco friendly, BPA and PVC free
- Bundle Tumble pumps come with a 100% money back guarantee
- This pump comes with silicone shields, making them super gentle on your skin
- Adjustable power options and LCD monitor for easy control and observation
- Unique compact design that’s both small and lightweight
- Massaging cushion is soft and gentle to stimulate milk flow
- Easy to clean, with most contents being dishwasher safe
- Extremely durable and backed with a 2 year warranty
- Definitely the #1 Best Breast Pump Seller on Amazon for manual breast pumps
- If you’re looking for an affordable breast pump, the manual Medela is the way to go
- Can be a great add on for the electric version of this pump since the bottles are interchangeable!
- Extremely convenient for travel or situations where a charging source is just not available
- Dual pumping settings can be adjusted independently if needed
- FDA approved and all materials are BPA free
- Includes a memory feature allowing mom to save the settings that work best for her
- Assembly is quick and simple, and cleaning is easy
- Two color coded modes: red for massage, blue for suction
- Comes with a USB connector for versatile charging options
- Built with a silent motor, lightweight, compact and adorable cat design
- For an affordable single electric pump that still gets the job done, the Whiteleopard is one of the best breast pumps for your buck!
How Do Breast Pumps Work?
Breast pumps will fall into two different categories: either electric or manual. How electric breast pumps work is by attaching the shield to your nipple, and then turning on the motorized machine. How manual breast pumps work on the other hand is by, you guessed it, squeezing the handle manually. Deciding which type of pump is best for you personally depends on a variety of factors, so let’s break it down.
Pros of Electric Breast Pumps:
- Best for the mom who will be pumping regularly
- More effective for milk production
- Less time consuming
- Can be used hands-free
- Double electric pumps allow for pumping of both breasts simultaneously
Pros of Manual Breast Pumps:
- Best for the mom who only needs to pump on occassion
- Compact and easy to store
- Low maintenance
- Complete control of suction
- Typically easier to clean
Breast Pump Tips and Tricks:
- Give the girls a massage first. This will help stimulate your glands before cranking on the pump, making the let down easier.
- Make it a routine. Your body will actually start to produce more subconsciously by simply pumping at the same time and place every day. The human body is insane, right?
- Stay well hydrated. If you’re dehydrated, you simply won’t be able to produce adequate milk. The more fluid you consume, the more your body can produce.
- Relax and remember WHO you’re doing it for. Easier said than done at times, but it really makes a difference. Thinking of your baby, listening to music or whatever it takes for you to find your zen will cause your let down to happen faster.
- Take good care of your breast pump. Like anything, good maintenance makes things work better and for longer. Keep your pump clean and store it according to the manufactures guidelines.